Home»How-Tos»How to Avoid Alcohol Poisoning — Getting Educated on the Facts of Alcohol

How to Avoid Alcohol Poisoning — Getting Educated on the Facts of Alcohol

Do you consume alcohol on a regular basis? Have you ever seen someone with alcohol poisoning? Have you had it yourself? Drinking too much beer, wine, or hard liquor can result in severe consequences. If you binge drink, you might be at risk for alcohol poisoning.

What is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a very serious condition which could be life threatening. Alcohol poisoning is a very serious consequence of drinking too much alcohol too quickly. It can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:

  • Confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
  • Irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths)
  • Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
  • Low body temperature (hypothermia)
  • Passing out (unconsciousness) and can't be awakened

A person with alcohol poisoning needs immediate medical attention. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call 911 for emergency medical help quickly.

Consider These Steps

Drinking responsibly requires that you are informed about the dangers and risks of alcohol. Here are some steps to take in order to avoid getting alcohol poisoning:

  • Always Drink in Moderation

Consuming alcohol is a great pleasure in life however, do not drink to "get drunk". Many college students like to pound drinks as quickly as possible which puts them at great risk for getting alcohol poisoning. If you are of legal age and plan to drink, know your personal limits and pace yourself. You may face peer pressure but it's far better to drink responsibly than it is to drink more just because your friends are.

  • Eat before Drinking

If you know you're going to consume alcohol, then eat a well-balanced meal before you go out. Having food in your stomach helps to lower your blood alcohol content and carbs (like bread and pasta) can help absorb the alcohol in your body.

  • Drink Plenty of Water

Alcohol dehydrates your body so it is important to drink water when you are consuming alcohol. Water can help process and dilute the alcohol that is in your system while keeping you from becoming too dehydrated.

  • Don’t Drink with Medication

Never drink alcohol while you are taking medication. Mixing alcohol with medications can be a dangerous combination.

Drinking Responsibly

When you drink alcohol, are you responsible or careless about it? Drinking excessively can have many negative consequences including alcohol poisoning, DUI, poor judgment, and added strain to major organs like your liver. Drinking responsibly requires that you are fully aware of what you are doing and how much you are drinking. If you are unable to control your drinking, than get help today.

How to Avoid Alcohol Poisoning — Getting Educated on the Facts of Alcohol